In-Mold Decoration (IMD)
Our custom plastic in-mold decorating (IMD) capabilities encompass all types and sizes of applications for a wide range of industries.
During the plastic injection molding process, molded plastic parts or components are decorated by in-mold decorating (IMD). A decorative appliqué film is inserted into an open plastic injection mold and held in place with vacuum ports or other methods. Afterwards, the plastic injection mold is closed and resin is injected in order to create the finished part, encapsulating the decoration permanently.
The IMD technology enables design flexibility and productivity advantages over traditional post-molding labeling and decorating technologies, including use of multiple colors, effects and textures in a single operation, long-lasting and durable graphics, and overall labeling and decorating cost reductions.
IMD advantages include:
- High quality and visually impressive graphics
- Ability to use flat, curved or 3D-formed labels and graphics
- Elimination of secondary labeling and decorating operations and costs, since injection molding and labeling/decorating are accomplished in one step
- Elimination of adhesives with ability to apply labels and graphics on plastic in one step, unlike pressure sensitive labels
- Ability to apply labels and graphics on plastic parts and containers’ sides and bottoms all in one step, unlike pressure-sensitive labeling
- Label inventory reduction
- Ability to achieve high abrasion and chemical resistance using special hard coatings
- Easy design variations by changing labeling film or graphic inserts, even in the same part run
- Continuous image transfers with high positioning tolerances
- Wide range of colors, effects, textures and graphic options
IMD has become the process of choice for high quality, durable labeling and graphics, employed by many industries in a wide range of applications, a few of which include:
- Medical devices
- Large parts and components
- Consumer products
- Automotive components
- Plastic housings
- Personal telecommunication devices
- Computer components
- Instrument panels
- Consumer handheld devices
- Lawn and garden equipment
- Storage containers
The Weiss Precision’s Advantage
Our experience, along with the latest innovations in custom plastic injection molding technologies, has provided us with a competitive advantage on each and every project.
|IMD Compared to Pad Printing||
|IMD Compared to Pressure Sensitive Labels||
|IMD Compared to Direct Printing||